(A re-post from my former Blog - HR Corner Office)
Superlatives are great, when someone else is issuing them, they are adjectives or compliments in the highest form. They are fun when you are in HIGH SCHOOL (e.g. most likely to..., class best..., etc.) again when a body of people are voting, they make perfect sense; but when used (excessively) in a resume or cover letter then I find them to be ANNOYING!. I actually suspect they are layered on because the person doesn't have any FACTS to include. And one last point in my (humble) opinion I bet a resume loaded up with superlatives is coming from someone that is LOADED with lots of AIR!....(otherwise known as a wind bag.)
Superlatives are great, when someone else is issuing them, they are adjectives or compliments in the highest form. They are fun when you are in HIGH SCHOOL (e.g. most likely to..., class best..., etc.) again when a body of people are voting, they make perfect sense; but when used (excessively) in a resume or cover letter then I find them to be ANNOYING!. I actually suspect they are layered on because the person doesn't have any FACTS to include. And one last point in my (humble) opinion I bet a resume loaded up with superlatives is coming from someone that is LOADED with lots of AIR!....(otherwise known as a wind bag.)
We in recruiting are like Sgt. Friday, we want “The facts ma’am or sir, just the facts.” Well maybe a little more than JUST the facts, but can a girl get 2 facts for every 1 superlative? Is that too much to ask? In the excerpt below the paragraph taken from a cover letter reads a little like a cheeky ad campaign and in actuality delivers no results. Nowhere in the cover letter or the attached resume did this candidate provide any real tangible evidence of what they said I’d get if I hired them. Not to mention there is a grammatical error (can you find it?). Yes recruiters (good ones) are this critical and the hiring managers are WORST. How many times can I say this YOUR RESUME is YOUR request to be INVITED to the “PARTY”, why not make it the best request you make?
REAL COVER LETTER EXCERPT:
“…demonstrated a record of achievements in sales, business development and marketing by creating integrated IT strategies and solutions to capture increased market share, brand/product evolution and media endorsement. If you are looking for a individual that can come aboard and immediately add value to your sales team”
YADDA, YADDA, YADDA, YADDA
I am not so sure this is even good ad copy. In any event it is a bad example of what this candidate could potentially do or provide for the company they are applying to.
Recommendations:
1- Lose all the fluff and tell me what you want me to really know. (What was that record of achievement you demonstrated?)
2- Tell me how you accomplished your achievements.
3- What was the impact?
4 - Ask for what you want. (An interview, a meeting, etc.)
Nowadays, recruiters, hiring managers, etc. all seem to be in a rush, and they want to be wow'd, they know all the buzz words so you don't have to fill your cover letter and resume with them; you DO although need to include what you do, how well you've done it, and how you will make a positive impact on the company you are applying to. Facts and examples work a lot better than buzz words and superlatives!
No comments:
Post a Comment