Monday, May 9, 2016

The moment when your boss’ decisions actually made sense….



For me it was similar to when I realized I was becoming my mother. It’s when I am in a position where I find myself having to make the same or similar decisions as a previous boss made. Clearly I was paying attention and while I may have scoffed at some of the decisions made by my superiors I could probably see the value in them even while shrugging my shoulders. I recall when I thought it was either too much, didn’t make sense or I thought to myself “why are we doing this?” I learned early on in my career (especially as an HR professional) that some decisions I just may not agree with, but as one that is required to communicate to and educate others, I need to get on board either through knowledge, acceptance or both. Knowledge helps in accepting and knowledge also helps in fully understanding the purpose; and by the way once you learn something it sort of sticks with you.  So when faced with having to “get on board” with a decision or idea that you aren’t fond of, try the following:

  • Remove yourself (personally) from the final outcome
  • Ask yourself what is it that (they) are trying to accomplish
  • Figure out what your role is in communicating, rolling out, implementing, etc.
  • What’s the learning opportunity for you
  • And by all means if you have different, cost-effective, or more efficient ideas speak up respectfully, and responsibly.


No comments:

Post a Comment